Rate this page
Although you may be feeling painfully alone right now, it is important for you to know that other people have thought about ending their lives too. Other people thinking about suicide will have had similar thoughts to your own.
Why do I feel like this?There are many reasons why people think about ending their lives. Some common experiences include:
- Being abused, bullied (physical, emotional or sexual) or excluded
- Significant loss, such as a life partner
- Major life stresses (e.g. a relationship breakdown, legal or financial problems)
- Chronic pain and chronic illness (including mental illness)
- Alcohol and drug use
It might be that you are experiencing a combination of the above in your life that is leading you to feel overwhelmed and distressed. You might be feeling so troubled that you are unable to sleep, eat, or enjoy anything.
In an emergencyIf you are in immediate danger, or concerned for your safety in any way:
- Call 000 (or 112 from a mobile) and request an ambulance. Stay on the line, speak clearly, and be ready to answer the operator's questions
- Visit you local hospital's emergency department
- Call your local Public Emergency Mental Health Service
Each of these emergency services teams are specially trained to support people in crisis, including people feeling suicidal, and are able to keep you safe.